December 2015

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930 31  

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 08:05 pm
So, today I interviewed for a job, and then I got offered it.

Which would be a good thing, except that I'm not sure whether or not I want it.

The backstory to the dilemna is that a year ago, I took a job I love, part-time alongside another part-time job, then in August I got made temporarily full-time in the job, with the expectation/hope that this would become a permanent thing. Then we went through a restructure and I got told, nope, I'd have to go back to part-time, except I don't have my other part-time job any more, and I can't afford to be on three days a week.

To add interest to the whole thing, I applied for a secondment while the restructure was in progress, and got offered it. I just started two and a half weeks ago. It's got six months, and there's not much chance of it being extended, but they might be able to make up the additional two days for me. They're also paying more than my substantive job.

With all this happening, I started applying for other jobs, with a view to (a) getting a permanent full-time post and (b) getting a job that pays more than I'm currently on and is a step up. In case things all fell through, I also applied for the job I just got offered today, which is basically my substantive post for a tiny bit more money with another council.

Everyone still with me?!

Pros to taking the job include: I'll have a permanent job, the people seem really nice, they've just been restructured so I'm not going to be restructured again in the next six months, I'd like the job, it's reasonably convenient for where I'm moving to (did I mention I'm moving this weekend because my landlord evicted me?)

Cons are: I've got six months in my secondment so I don't need to panic yet (especially since this is my first application and interview), my secondment pays better, I've put in two applications for better jobs that I'm waiting to hear back on, I'd need to stay at least a year before I could realistically think of moving to something better.

Plus, taking the offer feels like the safe option, rather than the scary stretch option. OK, maybe I don't get offered anything else and then I have to panic. But I want a better job on enough money that I feel secure, where it's a stretch from what I'm doing. And I just want to do the risky thing for once; what's the point of being single and dependentless if I can't?

All of which comes down to - I should take the offer, but I think I'm going to turn it down and hope that I can get something better.

Tell me I'm making the right decision?
Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 02:49 am (UTC)
This is just my opinion and I'm not sure it's a good one.

I always go with the safe option and live by the motto "a bird in hand is better than two in a bush." I'm happy with where it's taken me but then again for myself I need stability to be happy. I was not at all happy working two part time jobs and not knowing if I'd have a job three months down the road.

Unless this new permanent full time job is giving you bad vibes, it sounds like a good opportunity.

Hugs and good luck,
Amalthia
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 04:14 am (UTC)
Good luck. :)
Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 02:32 pm (UTC)
For what it's worth, it sounds like you know what your heart is telling you about it. I've been around enough to know that's important, and listening to those instincts that say do this or don't do this ... it's a skill. So, turn down the job, knowing something better will come along. Sounds like you're the kind of person who is making things happen in your life, so I have no doubts something good will come along for you. Good luck!